Are you one of the many people who sets intentions, has goals and creates a plan? Studies show that setting goals is key to success.
SUCCESS STARTS WITH A PLAN!
There was a study done on a group of graduating students who were in the Harvard MBA Program where the students were asked to set clear written goals for their future and to also make plans of how they would accomplish this. In this group of students, 3% of the students wrote down their goals, while the other 13% had goals however they did not write them down. The remaining 84% of the students had no specific goals at all. (Article in – What They Don’t Teach You at Harvard Business School)
They interviewed the students ten years later and the findings were astounding!
The 13% who had goals but had not written them down—were earning on average, twice as much at the 84% who had none.
The 3% who had clear written goals— were earning ten times as much as the 97% put together.
These extraordinary results are inspiring. Studies show that if you want success, setting goals is one of the most important things that you can do.
In my years of experience as a Coach, one thing I have discovered is that when it comes to setting goals, a lot of people feel resistant about this. Why is this?
Is it enough to just set “SMART” Goals that are— Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely or is there more to this?
I believe there is. In order to accomplish your goals, you must set goals around the things that are MOST important to you, which points to your values.
When your goals align with your values you have a higher chance for success!
What do you really want?
- Do you want to have a better self-image, be healthier, or be more successful?
- Do you want to have less conflict in a specific relationship?
- Do you want to live a life on purpose and have more fulfillment and happiness in your life?
Align Your Goals with Your Values
For instance, when my value of integrity aligns with my goals, it absolutely feels right!
I am clear of what integrity means to me. Simply said it is—“Say what you mean and mean what you say.” Then as I set goals with this clearly in mind, I know I can’t be wishy washy or make a half hearted commitment. This goes against my values— I must commit 100%!
This is what motivates me at the core, This serious commitment helps me follow through no matter what and to accomplish what I truly want!
Steps to Help YOU Achieve Your Goals
- Clearly define what your values are. What is most important to you?
- What are your dreams and aspirations? Write them down.
- Pick one thing – In order to make a dream a reality, what do you need to do? Create a goal.
- Stay inspired – Have times for self reflection and SEE yourself accomplishing your goal.
- Create accountability and have people to cheer you on.
- Accomplish your goal and CELEBRATE your success!
When you commit and put your whole heart into accomplishing what you want, it is rewarding. As you achieve your own success, this is the greatest confidence booster of all. Setting goals then will become a part of your life!